Re: Ducks

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:43:28 -0700 (PDT)

David Dunham, responding to Stewart, I think:

> Sadly, I'm not aware of any serious Duck player
> characters.

Not sure that it helps, but one of the folks in Sandy's group played Blackbeak the Duck, Scourge of the Low Seas, for quite a while. Someone did a lovely sketch showing why his CHA was a mighty 3. Start with Daffy, take away the silly parts, and feed him nothing but amphetamines for 3 years . . . that was pretty much it.

Blackbeak was the most self-interested character I ever met. If there was nothing in it for Blackbeak, Blackbeak wasn't in it. That said, he took a very broad view of opportunity (for loot or other advantage, naturally) and of odds of survival, so he usually decided that sticking with the party was his best bet.

He didn't take the "orange sauce" jokes very well. Before I joined the group, the group aparently killed a minotaur with some sort of fire magic. Later that night, Blackbeak served up orange beef.

Blackbeak's death was mighty thing. He slew the sorcerers inside the fossilized skeleton of the one-toed, one-tailed woolly mammoth. But the magic he used killed him. As he died, we managed to catch his soul (since he was an atheist, it would have dissipated) in a magic snow globe. Unfortunately, we were then put to sleep for 80 years, during which time Blackbeak was hidden in the herd man's crotch. His soul is now a bit crazed and violent (not that that's too different from before)--80 years of that view did him in.

Guy, weigh in here.

Chris Lemens