More on digest changes

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_albionsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:48:38 +0100

Hi all,

Me :
> So I halved the "send when it reaches this size" limit. The
>digest just gone was still a respectable 670 lines, but that should be the
>maximum for now. And this should also make more regular digests possible -
>if you want them quicker, just post more!

Possibly a bit too quick now. I'll increase the limit a little, and we'll compromise at that.

Rick Meints:

>In short, if people truly followed the
>"Rules of the Road", I think that the digest
>will work just fine. A few thoughts on how
>I see those rules:

<snip much good stuff>

Useful thoughts from Rick, as always. Should I be tougher on people who don't follow the rules of the road? Wag my finger a little more often in private? Or is the occasional polite reminder like this enough. I suspect the latter - we're good folks here, on the whole.

Y'all be good now.

Jane Williams :
>At least I can judge the interest of a message with one click to select
>it, rather than
>several to page down and one or two more to page back because I missed the
>divider.

I wonder if this is the difference in how easy people perceive the digest format. I think most of us that use it click once in the message window (if needed - Eudora normally just lets you press tab...) and then uses the page up/down buttons to scroll. Is this a case of the computer power user vs. the casual user?

>Ermmm... right, over to the archives and try to follow the threading. Yes,
>I see what you
>mean. The fine art of precis. Which in most on-line communities would not
>have a hope
>of working: but given the general standard of literacy here, may well be
>the Way Ahead.

I'm quite sure the vast majority of people her *can* precis. I encourage everyone to do so. It doesn't have to be wonderful English (as I'm sure mine wasn't!) just good enough for the main point to be clear.

> > MIME is a standard for delivering multiple documents in a single e-mail
> > message. It has a bad reputation due to its normal use for e-mailing HTML
> > spam, but can be very useful for things like digests.
>
>IF you get the time (yes, big IF, I know), putting some explanation like
>this on the
>options page might be nice? No rush.

Possibly. Quite often MIME falls into the 'if you have to ask, you don't need to turn it on' category. Looks like you are finding a better use for it though.

> > Now if I didn't know that Jane had been here for many, many years I would
> > assume this came from someone who had never seen the Digest. "polite
> > references"? Surely some mistake?
>
>No. You obviously don't use Usenet. The GD is incredibly polite, and
>always has been.

I do, and I think GD is fairly normal. Perhaps I just tend to be lucky and hit better groups than you...

> > Anything is
> > allowed, any source, any idea, any specualtion. It is, in short, exactly
> > what Jane wants, except we have one or two rules she dislikes.
>
>No, you don't. You have a posting frequency and format that was set up
>many years
>ago, and has not moved on with the enormous change in internet/email
>access since. I
>find this frustrating. The (lack of) rules is not a problem in the slightest.

The rules I mentioned are the frequency and format. They're kind of part and parcel of how things works.

And I don't know that the internet has changed so much - dial up accounts have always been a minority of users. But that is getting *way* off topic.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson