Re: Babeester Gori; Sylphs

From: David Dunham <david_at_a-sharp.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:07:14 -0700

Jane asks about the psychology of Babeester Gor.

> What makes them
> decide to be such extreme fanatics? How do they feel about other people:
> men, women, other types of warrior? How do they get on with their
> companions? How do their parents feel about them, and vice versa? Do they
> ever wish they'd chosen some other career?

While it's possible for them to decide to take up the path (I think there's a sequence of events in King of Dragon Pass that can lead to this), I think in many cases they are called.

I played one long ago, and as I recall she suffered some traumatic event like watching her parents get killed. (Hey, it worked for Batman.) I gave her the redeeming virtue of liking children (which according to the Storm Tribe writeup is a flaw!).

They are said to be unsociable, and I suspect people are secretly glad of this. Do you really want to share a beer with a mean-looking woman, dressed like a man, who regales you with tales of her bloody revenge?

I think families treat this much like their daughter becoming a Humakti. And if there's any choice in the matter, they will try to persuade her to become a Vingan Red Woman instead.

> I have no real idea what a sylph looks like

The cover of Storm Tribe may be one (though perhaps it's some lesser sort of Wind). Broyan's is a bit more anthropomorphic.

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>