re: Orlanth the Potter.

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 10:14:10 -0000

Alex:

>But... if I'm remembering my Thunder Rebels correctly, there _is_
>a sub-cult of Orlanth for crafters, and by inclusion at least,
>potters, isn't there? If there is indeed, then this would suggest
>that either a) this sub-cult has managed to 'acrete' something to
>Orlanth's fundamental nature other than what it was 'before'; or
>b) that his fundamental nature is, and always was (or was changed
>to be?) something different from, and in several sense broader than,
>simply "storm" as such.

Perhaps I'm just not bright enough to figure out how pottery is related to stormyness.

As you can surely tell though my point isn't realy about pottery, it's about how you would go about changing the nature of a god. If gods had free will you could just go to them and persuade them to change their nature. However you can't, you have to do long, complex and dangerous heroquests to establish the change. Last time I checked, people didn't have to do heroquests to learn new skills (like pottery), or change their minds about things. Therefore gods are not just like people.

>Without presuming to answer my own question, I think one might ask
>two others. Firstly, as someone else said, if there were no humans
>on Glorantha (and in particular, no Orlanthi), would there still be
>storms, and almost equivalent, would there still be a storm god?
>But also in the second instance, one might ask, would those storms,
>and would that storm god be unchanged, if this were suddenly the
>case? My own feeling is that those questions have very different
>answers.

It seems that personal conciousness is found all over Glorantha. For example I believe it's been said that there are concious, inteligent members of every species in Glorantha. Inteligent rabits, inteligent spiders, etc, etc. I think that's not just because it's cool. I think that personal conciousness naturaly arrises from the interactions between the otherworlds and the mundane world. There's a principle of nature at work which makes this so.

However if conciousness is a naturaly emergent property, as a result of the natural (and/or magical) processes of glorantha, that doesn't mean conciousness is actualy necessery - it just means that if all concious beings died, other concious beings would naturaly emerge to take their place.

I also think that religion is also an emergent property of conciousness. I honestly don't know if they are necessery, but I do think they are inevitable, in glorantha.

Simon Hibbs