Ethnic variation in the middle east.

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:02:10 GMT

>From: Simon Hibbs <Simon.Hibbs_at_marconi.com>

>> From: "Andrew Solovay" <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
>
>> I guess we could clarify it thus--would you describe modern Persians (or
>> Arabs) as "white guys"? I'm prepared to believe that ancient Greeks were
>> *that* dark, and with that much variation (there are some very pale
>> Arabs).
>
>I can testify to this, many people in arabia are no darker than my own
>uncles and cousins (on my mother's side which is a little darker than
>my own blond, blue eyedness). I'm not sure how recent this is though.

Equally some people of european ancestry are distinctly brown, especially after a bit of sunbathing. That's a lot darker than most arabs, similar to Indian colouration although that in turn is very variable. As far as I can see Nordic and Negro colourations are just the extremes of an adaption to different levels of sunlight which is mixed up every time there is a population movement. The same is probably true in Glorantha although mythical elements will be more important than sunlight.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

End of Glorantha Digest