Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #590 - 2 msgs

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:46:52 +0200

>Visigoths > Vascons > Basques, BTW ...

Not so. If anything Goths - Gothalan - Catalan.

The Basque language doesn't even belong to the Indogermanic family, I think. They are thought to speak some pre-Indogermanic language found along the Atlantic coast.

>Me :

>>Charlemagne is the one who severed ordinary people from an understanding
>>of Latin, by decreeing that henceforth only classical forms would be used.
>>Because of this decree, Latin suddenly stopped being the language of
>>ordinary folk
>>everywhere, and became an incomprehensible language of officialdom and
>>clerics.
>>That's when Vulgate latin ceased to exist, although it took an extra
>>century
>>to die out in Spain. Interestingly, Charlemagne's own command of latin was
>>dismal.

>>This decree was of course an atrocious act of linguistic terrorism.

He introduced another major disturbance by planting Saxons throughout his realm. But then, east of the Rhine the dominant subcultures had been Germanic for years, and most likely the languages as well. Suebic appears to have survived as a dialect into these days.

>BTW I can't help equating Charlemagne and his spiritual thugs, the
>Paladins,
>with Seshnela and Rokari fundamentalism ... ;-)

Karl Martell and Bailifes the Hammer have more than their epithet in common?