Malkioni in the Holy County

From: Michael O'Brien <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:44:14 +1100

Simon wrote:
> Arlaten is a Rokari through and through....
>In my Glorantha the Rokari still linger in the cities of Heortland, Knight
>Fort is
>still under their control and they
>serve as mercenaries to several lords. Some Esvulari were converted to
>Rokarism
>and secretly follow this worship. The Capratis and Du Tumerine Enclaves in
>Nochet still make good money from trade. Where Richard is remains a
>mystery, he
>may have fled home to Seshnela with his tale between his legs, or he remains
>underground fermenting rebellion. The later is more fun IMHO.

My scenario "Beyond the Building Wall" (see TotRM #13) features the various Malkioni of the Holy Country: this piece is indeed where the Capratis and Du Tumerines are first described.

The premise of the scenario is that during his brief tenure as king of Malkonwal, Richard assigned the lands around the dragonewt monolith known as "Wyrms Hold" to one of his followers, who even after Richard's fall continued to style himself "Count".

The scenario also features the Rokari Capratis family, and I've tried to introduce some interesting societal conundrums, such as making the son and heir of the family a bastard - making his claim to the title somewhat tenuous; and the Knight actually born into the farmer caste - but this far from the West, real knights are hard to come by. Also, the family priest is actually a Heortland native and Aeolian turncoat - I'm sure some did when Richard's star was in the ascendant, but they're probably regretting it now...

This scenario is not currently available online, except for the RQ3 stats for the Capratis party which I summarised in Vol 9 #593, or complete on my Glorantha Page: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/wyrmsholderrata.htm

Terra:
>I translated half of MOB's "Wyrm's Hold" article in Tales #13.
>But this bit is slightly weak for reason to translation, without the
>excellent scenario, firmly attached to the article, "Beyond the Building
>Wall"....
>
>Don't any of you have plan to convert the RQ scenario into HQ? If I should
>convert it by myself, do you have any advice about it? (Especially, many
>sorcery spells in RQ, is not so easily convertible to HQ. )

Thus far, Ian Thomson has produced a HW update for my scenarios "The Garhound Contest" from SUN COUNTY, and is in the final stages of revising the whole Lunar Coder chapter (including the scenario "One High Priest Too Many") from STRANGERS IN PRAX.

The SUN COUNTY stuff is freely available as a PDF on the Glorantha.com website (http://www.glorantha.com/hw/fan/garhound.html); the STRANGERS IN PRAX stuff will follow. I've seen Ian's final draft and am very pleased with it - he's done a great job expressing in HQ terms what was presented in my original RQ3 stats for the Coders.

Converting the "Beyond the Building Wall" scenario might be even more of a challenge because of the various assorted sorcerous stats - if I recall correctly there's even some weird Stygian Arkati appearing at some point. Y'see, one of the ideas behind the scenario in the first place was to write something with a wide variety of sorcery practitioners because we were doing a special Tales issue on the subject.

I have great faith in Ian's abilities and can ask him if he wants to do it.

Regards,