(unknown charset) Re: Corn, Beans, Squash and Blood (oh yeah, Death too)

From: µävÀðw
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:57:58 -0400

On 8 Apr 2005 at 16:01, Mike Dawson wrote:

> Ah, but DO Gloranthan cultures do this? I know what crop mixing method
> you're talking about--Lots of east coast Indians did this.

Exactly so. And I don't know if Gloranthan=20 cultures do. I asked about Corn, and it doesn't seem to be specifically stated anywhere. So I=20 thought "why waste a perfectly good
myth?"

> But I had the impression (not based on any sources I could cite) that
> the two big corn growing areas of Peloria and Ignorance rely on Corn
> corn and blood rather than corn beans and squash.

It certainly seems Ignorance relies on blood.=20 Peloria (according to Peter) relies on blood insamuch as it gets the yield up. But that=20 certainly doesn't seem to necessitate that there is monoculture.

> So maybe this is better off cast as a heroquest waiting to happen--a
> way for farmers to DISCOVER that growing these three at once on the
> same plot improves the yields of all three.

Also provides better nutrition.

> But it does need a HQ to make it popular. Or perhaps even true.

Maybe its just the simple fact that using the 3=20 sisters improves the yield. Using the blood rites improves the yield a lot more. So which do you do?

> ------------------------------

(Donald R. Oddy)

> There is Kazkurtum the Dead God (ILH1 page 25) who appears to be
> the Solar ruler of the dead. Between him, Shargash, Kastok and
> Urvairinus I'd say the Dara Happens have it covered without Humakt.

You know, I had looked through ILH, but hadn't=20 noticed Kazkurtum, who certainly seems
to be lord of the dead type at least. Kastok=20 doesn't seem to be a death god, though. I'm not convinced of Shargash, either.

Also, isn't there some hint somewhere that the=20 Bat is really the Death God of the
Rinliddi? (Or am I misremembering.) That's a modified solar pantheon, isn't = it?

> The Lunar pantheon will have their own death god(s) and spirits.

Do they need them? The Lunars are willing to=20 borrow and incorprate gods from elsewhere. Do you=20 need a Lunarized Death?

[Issaries the Guide of the Dead]

> Yes, that's a particularly odd split if you think about it. Two
> fairly important gods to handle a single thing. And then you've
> got Asrelia/Ty Kora Tek involved as well. If I was doing a God
> Learner style analysis I'd conclude that Humakt isn't an Orlanthi
> diety at all but a foreign import.

I can see the argument.

> I wouldn't assume that the Orlanthi set of gods can be mapped
> directly onto other theistic pantheons, never mind onto animistic
> ones.

Wouldn't want them to be. Watching these=20 discussions it has been fascinating to see some argue for Humakt being Death, the Grim=20 Reaper himself if you will. Which, to the Orlanthi, he might be. But who Death is to other=20 peoples remains a bit of a curiousity.
Humakt seems to be around in Peloria due to=20 Orlanthi influence, but more and more I
don't think he is the primary Death god there.

> So turning up the two Unspoken Word books that detail animist
> traditions we get the Char-un who don't appear to have death
> spirits at all - indeed binding the spirit of the dead into
> the material plance is regarded as an honour. Then the Uz have
> the Jeset practice which is the Ferryman of the dead taking
> them to Wonderhome in the underworld.

Don't have either, so thanks for the info.

LC

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 111