(unknown charset) The Secret History of Death

From: µävøx
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 00:16:36 -0500

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 23:39:25 +0100
=46rom: "Jane Williams"=20

Subject: RE: The Essence of Death

"
While we're being radical, let me air an idea here that I've mentioned on the Swords list (us, twitter about Humakti philosophy?)

There is a myth or two about how Humakt loses or deliberately cuts off various bits of himself so as to make himself more "pure". His fertility, his emotions, any tendency to cowardice, all colours except black, etc, etc. He held on to things like courage, self-control, never deceiving yourself, and so on. What happened to the discarded bits? My theory is that they gathered together to form another (also incomplete) being. Humakt's Other. Trickster. So when we say that Trickster stole Death, yes, he did. Well, his original parts did. Only they were part of Humath at the time...

Yes, it's another of those perhaps overly-radical ideas. But as far as I can see, Humakt and Trickster are *exact* opposites in every possible way. And that can't be coincidence.
"

I once had a similar idea. I never liked that=20 Eurmal gets his hands on Death first then gives=20 it away. My theory was that a spectacularly=20 mediocre being (I call him Eurmakt, but he=20 probably doesn't have a name because he never did=20 anything) finds Death and is found to be=20 unworthy. So Death acts for the first time and=20 divides the poor guy into two separate entities.=20 One spreads Death far and wide and the other=20 makes sure that only the strongest or most=20 determined keep it.

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 96