Re: Kilts and Trewsers: Sense and Seasonality

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:46:06 +0000

Donald R. Oddy wrote:

> Well I spent most of a weekend in what was basically a long frock
> for a freeform. With loose underwear it is a lot more comfortable
> than trousers particularly in warm temperatures. If it wasn't for
> the social taboo against men in skirts I reckon they would be
> quite popular.

As an occasional kilt-wearer, I've found that a proper kilt, being made of heavy wool, is rather too warm to wear in summer, for my tastes. I've never tried a summer frock, though you make me strangely tempted.

I find a kilt, as long as you wear some nice thick socks to cover your legs below the knee, to be perfectly sufficient even in snowy weather. Those layers of wool are surprisingly warm, especially with the extra layer of insulation that manly hairy legs provide.

Then, I don't tend to feel the cold very much. YMMV.

Regards,

Bruce