Re: Chiefs' wives

From: Stephen Rennell <steve_at_verso.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:55:15 +1300

Jane Williams wrote:
>>I would expect most
>>Heortlings to be married between the ages of 15 and 20. If
>>only to keep the number of unmarried mothers to a reasonable level.

> What's supposed to be wrong with unmarried mothers? Remember children in
> Heortling society are economically useful at a very early age
> (labour-intensive and low-skill culture!), not an economic burden like
> they are to us. The clan of an unmarried mother get to keep the
> children! And her value in marriage negotiations goes up once she's
> proved she's fertile. Assuming she wants to follow the standard female
> career path, being an unmarried mother is a definite advantage.

I've been assuming that people aren't getting married until somewhere between 23 and 30, because I'm assuming it takes time to build up enough wealth to make a good marriage match.

Am I wildly off base with what other people are doing?

Stephen

--
Stephen Rennell 	steve_at_verso.org
Wellington, New Zealand