(unknown charset) Re: Humakt, re: Simon

From: µävÈx
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:42:22 +0300

Simon, I think you read me wrong for some reason... Maybe it's me expressing myself.

I do not blame you, but I think I was aware of the points you brought up, and I am assuming that mostly everyone who is at all active on this digest is aware of as well. Ok, at least we agree.

> >But, tell ye, was was Subere Humakt's mother before Humakt found
> >the Death? Or was it forever true only after? Trying to answer,
> >IMHO Subere had Humakt made inside her because of what Humakt did.
>
> We are talking about GodTime, so there realy isn't any point in getting
> all hung up about the literal historical sequence of events when these
> aren't literal events, and aren't historical.

So the point is not to get hung up.

Some myths do get confusing in historical perspective. Others don't. So it is "a mystery quality" of a myth that occurs on occasion.

To put what I had in mind, yet another way, maybe a way you prefer.

"On some myths the mother of Humakt may be Subere. On other myths She isn't. Sometimes Humakt has no mother. Othertimes His mother may vary."

> >But, that aside, myths in glorantha are often IMO far more than
> >symbolic. What I think is purely symbolic are small contradictions
> >in myth. - Depends on what one means with 'purely symbolic' though. -
> >ZZabur can be said to be purely symbolic - he might say it himself.
>
> I think you underestimate the fundamental importance of symbolism in
> Glorantha, after all the foundational building blocks of Gloranthan
> magical reality are symbols - the Runes.

There above, I tried to express the same, except I did not attempt underestimation of fundamental importance of symbolism in glorantha.

With the semantic, propably unnecessary notion, that in Glorantha the R are not necessarily abstract realities. (Let us not get into ontology:)

-Topi-

"There is nothing like desire for preventing the thing one   says from bearing any resemblancce to what one has in mind." - Marcel Proust, Rememberance of Things Past -