Re: Initiation

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:42:18 GMT

In message <Pine.GSO.4.58.0506192208440.465_at_paju.oulu.fi> Mikko Rintasaari writes:
>Rob writes

>:Now I know we as modern males may find this kind of coyness laughable, or
>:not, however I have a hunch that the typical Heortling male will not
>:discuss certain things with women or girls present.
>
>I think you have this backwards Rob. The heortlings live in communal
>longhouses and keep lot's of livestock. There's plenty of material, in
>Thunder Rebels for instanse, that makes it pretty clear that children
>learn about love and sex very early and naturally. It's us modern
>humansthat are uncomfortable with sex, not the heortlings.

You're right that sex, particularly the physical aspects, is going to be commonly known by children. That doesn't mean the sexes don't have secrets from each other and in consequence crude jokes about those secrets from the opposite sex. My feeling is that a lot relate to cult magic, particularly much women's magic is going to work better if the target (men) don't know it's being used.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/