RE: Re: A before O

From: Malk Williams <malk_at_malkavius.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:20:09 +0100

> Then there's the complication that written Hebrew has no vowels.

In its most ancient form, no, which is why no one really knows whether YHWH should be pronounced Yahweh or Jehovah, as the Name was never spoken, but at some point (not sure when), marks often referred to as "jots and tiddles" were added to the classical letters, to provide a guide to vowel sounds. So my old A Level RE teacher told me anyway.

Thanks for all the help so far with my Prax questions BTW, especially to Peter, who must have spent quite a while going through the whole list. Jane I have thanked already, as she has offered to lend me various tomes of curious and forgotten lore on the subject.

Cheers -

Malk.