Re: Resisting Beffudle

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:31:14 -0500

Nick Hollingsworth wrote:

> Richard Develyn (Sat 11th):
> > if you want to play for time your best bet is to
> > gamble 0 APs.
>
> Can you do this? It doesn't seem reasonable. I would have
> expected a 1 AP min bid. A 0 bid sounds like failing to
> take any action.

I think you have to bid SOMETHING. Even if you do have an edge or other bonuses. I'd say you're forfeiting your action, which might as well be buying time as best you can. Properly, I'd say "I'm conducting an almost totally defensive fight doing ("blahblah" for stituation). And in that case, I would possibly give you an edge for reducing your opponent's incoming AP loss (if there was on) or give you an edge to increase your skill a bit.

> Hibbs, Philip (Sat 11th):
> > But surely the great troll resisting your befuddle with his axe is going
> to get
> > a huge penalty for inappropriate skill use, if indeed it can use it at
> all.
>
> But surely a valid response to someone casting a spell at you is to hit them
> quick before they can finish casting the thing. The AP bid in the spell
> would relate in some way to the strength and hence (by the conventions
> of the genre) to the length of time spent chanting and waving your arms,
> which in turn relates to how huge a swing the troll with the pole axe gets
> to make.

Casting a spell... Either that or invoking a feat is an unrelated action, so you are vulnerable for that round. Spells are pretty much quick now, sort of like the old Runespells were. Long term spells and magic are generated out of combat.

Jeff