Re: Who is starting the fight?

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:53:29 -0500

At 06:01 PM 03/30/2000 -0800, Roderick Robertson wrote: [I wrote:]
>> If one person "attacks" another in what will become an extended contest,
>> then that person has initiated the contest and goes first.
>>
>> Roderick: Is there any official ruling on the use of AP totals to
>determine
>> initiative in two-participant extended contests? (This was going to be on
>> my FAQ suggestion list anyway.)
>
>The rule is that the person who initiates the contest bids first. Bidding
>then moves back & forth between the contestants in alternate rounds. I
>suppose you could cobble up some sort of "High AP controls the contest"
>mechanism, but it's currently not the way things work.

I already agreed with this. I was asking about the type of combat where two forces rush together into battle. If the two forces are two people, I would use the highest initial AP to determine who initiates the first exchange. I would rather do this than roll for initiative and I am wondering if there is any support in the Hero Wars rules for this (that's why I mentioned the high-AP-goes-first in group extended contests). (I like to cut down on excess rolls.)

[snip fast-draw example with which I agree]

Thanks,
Andy