Re: Collecting the PAQ - pretty darn long

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:59:15 -0800

I've been keeping an eye on the Cranky review (and followups) on two usenet groups (RGFM and RGFA) but haven't chimed in 'cause, hey, why feed trolls....

<snip>

> So what--that doesn't mean that "personality traits" and "Relationship
> Ability" are inherently good.
>
> [Steve Lieb] Granted. I don't like when the dice take away my ability
> to play my character. IMG I would say they typically would only come
> into play when I as a DM simply feel that the player isn't quite being
> what they claim. I mean, if you have only 100 words to describe the
> most significant aspects of your personality, and chose "loyal" to be
> one of those words, I as a DM would have trouble with you as a player
> routinely (or even once) stabbing a buddy in the back.
<Snip>

When working on the Relationship & Personality stuff, my vision (possibly, nay probably, shortsighted) was of using them to augment abilities, *not* as forcing a player to play a certain way due to die-roll. My thought was more of the "I'll use my relationship with my Clan to augment my Debate ability to defeat the Lunar Missionaries", or "I'll use my Love Family to try to do a final action" than a Narrator forcing me to do something because of them.

Roderick