Re: Thunder Rebels rules question

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:36:23 -0000

Greg'd mentioned that they usually have pretty small/weak affinities and secrets. But I'd say that Heroforming would work as the default. Of course, becoming a devotee to a hero is a serious step - most folks won't become a devotee (60% time) for such meagre benifits. But hey, its a good RP idea.

> This may or may not worth learning, though it looks
> reasonably useful as secrets go.

Some could be but you'd have to devote -- and that means you're only going to be initiated to the rest of the god's magic.

> Though the sole example (Vogarth the Strong Man) has more
> than a few disadvantages, I think that he is atypical (and ripe with
> roleplaying possibilities, not to mention in-jokes about Bruce of
the

Vogarth gets a hugely powerful set of abilties as Heroform (strength is 8w4!! (might not be 8 but its a w4!!) but he has a downside. I think it makes a good example of a non-bland heroform.

> Banner, Vogarths ripped purple trews, etc). Most heroforms probably
> require you to be honourable, or wise, or something, rather than
> stupid.

Strong like bull!
Smart like streetcar!

I like Vogarth a lot. But I also think that the mechanism you mention (have to have the virtues at a high level) is a good one. Voganth doesn't get an affinity, btw, because (according to Greg) he's too stupid to have one.

But I think that most of the herocults can be fleshed out to greater depth but if you're going to be a full initiate of something like Ranvold, it will cost a lot of time (10-30%) but it would provide better benfits, such as an affinity. Taking a hero as the center of a warband (and making a minion of the hero a wyter) is a good approach to this, I think.

Jeff