Re: non-matching

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:22:09 +0100

> From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
>I don't see that anything needs to be added to the rules for this.
>Provision already exists for penalising 'non-mathcing' abilites.
>Maybe I am missing something ...

I agree that it adds nothing in those cases, but I don't see anything wrong with the general principle of using specific modifiers in some cases. If I'd written my notes up as you suggest (which, broadly I tend to), I might, in play, discover that a player decided to use "Break Chains". The simple solution is to reward them by saying "I'll give you a plus 3 to that". This also gives an incentive to select focussed abilities. As I indicated, this already (more-or-less) exists in the rules as a situation modifier. I'd like to see clearer guidelines in HW2 for selecting improvisation penalties and situation modifiers (possibly via a series of examples).

Thom