Re: Re: HQ questions

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:26:41 -0700

At 12:05 PM 9/28/2001 -0000, you wrote:
>> > I'm trying to find a place where Theists & Animists can mix
>> > in one HQ without one of them being helpless...

Most heroquests take place on the Hero Planes, and in such places the Alien Modifiers are [generally] not applied. Exceptions are during great turmoil caused by the crashing together of worlds, or the splitting apart of worlds. Mythic effects bear the game-equivalent of Alien Modifiers: "A dry ice storm blows across the entire valley. All animists and theists are now modified with Alien Modifiers."

>> What I think (and what do I know!) is that a HQ set in the Great
>> Darkness (or any other age) can take place on either the Hero Plane
>> or on the God Plane
>
>I agree with your thoughts, but what I'm trying to find is some
>guidelines on where, and in what sort of circumstances, the
>characters will be affected by Otherworld Modifiers.
The alien World modifiers are applied when going into one of the Otherworlds (Godworld, Sorcery Places, Spirit Plane and sometimes, Underworld).
Those types of heroquests are quite extraordinary. Most heroquesting takes place in the Hero Planes (ie- the Golden Age, the Storm Age, etc.). Unusually powerful and dangerous quests go to one's own Godworld. [Such as the Orlanthi raiding to the Yelmic heaven). Some even more extraordinarily powerful and dangerous quests go to another Otherworld.

>I have a Vingan with a Animistic Follower, and I'm wondering if
>there's any way for them to HQ together...
An actual Follower, who has bound himself to a leader, might be able to bypass this. Of course, a Kolating in an Orlanthi party would probably not be affected in the Godworld with an Alien modifier.

Nonetheless, please understand that the crippling effect of entering into another's magical source world is intentional and not a bug, but a feature. Likewise, it is intentional that passage directly form one Otherworld to another is impossible. Only passage via one of the Hero planes is possible. No one has ever (not even Arkat or Gbaji) been able to go directly from one Otherworld to another [except in the Darkness, when they were all broken and crammed into one indivisible mess anyway].

YGMV of course. The main reason for them to be that way now is that these, and some other Absolutes of the Gloranthan universe, are going to be broken in future HW material. Scenarios will offer characters the chance to be the people who discover and explore those powers. They will be offered the tremendous temptation of these powers, and we will certainly offer at least some idea of possible consequences.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>