Re: Re: HQ questions

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 01:33:19 +0100

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 01:04:26 +0100 (BST), Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...> wrote:

>> >You may think so, but what the heck do you think hero worship
>> >is about, anyway? I don't recall Morden's story getting "bad
>> >school play" notices. What do you think the hero-plane _is_?
>>
>> A place for heros. Not a school trip for beginners.
>
>Let me rephrase (and ignore the sideswipe).

Not a sideswipe, just a disjointed reference to Initiation rites. The very first thing a child does to become an adult is Hero Quest. It just racks the significance of the HQ down too far for me.

>What do you think it
>is _cosmologically_, and what role do you think it plays in HQing, as
>distinct from the Godplane? You seemed to want to say all questing
>happens in the GP anyway,

Only those Myths that concern purely deitific interraction, as per Greg's own description - the highest level of HQ.

>now you're objecting to my description
>of the HP _as_ the place where the acts of heroes are immortalized.

No, not at all, just the idea that there are effectively infinite versions and levels of HQ all diluting & warping the original act.

>> >You seem to be randomly rubbishing suggestions along these lines
>> >without offering much of an alternative,
>>
>> So presumably you've missed my references to a sliding scale of
>> difficulty?
>
>An odd claim, given that I replied to them.

But only after saying I hadn't offered them.

>But what about some
>sort of account of the "process" of "being Vinga" at 2W, vs at
>10W5? They can't be both "being Vinga" in exactly the same sense
>or to the same extent.

It's the idea both can even be called 'being Vinga' that upsets me.

>> >or taking any of the
>> >alleged "mechanics" of questing into account.
>>
>> I'm not clear on your meaning here.
>
>For example, Greg's comments about most quests _not_ being on the God
>Plane, contra your assumption.

He also said some ARE. We've got trapped in one single example here.

>> Rewriting a myth to create a new version for different characters
>> isn't a sliding scale, it's a set of similar, but different, myths.
>> The Russian Doll theory of Gloranthan Mythology, inside every myth a
>> smaller one fits.
>
>I'm not arguing for new versions, at least, not beyond the known
>level of variation. Though as per my comments about hero-worship,
>you might have cases of known vs. "random" variation.

If you're emulating a hero, not Vinga, it's a different myth. If you're performing the same myth as the hero did, I do not see how you get it any easier than she did. Same myth, same difficulties. Seems reasonable. If you get the same myth for a lower resistance, why not a complete scale? And if there's a complete scale, why involve the hero, why not just Vinga, with variable difficulties?

Note that this problem I have has no effect on HQs which do not involve deities personally, those are fair enough. But by the new 3-tier scale, god vs god is top difficulty.

Wulf