Re: Re: HQ questions

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 02:01:05 +0100 (BST)

A quick afterthought...

> Yes, it all fits, and it's all playable, which is the real point. And
> yes, I know by my own arguments that I just couldn't play most of the
> HQs without 2-3 levels of Mastery, but at least then it would feel
> HEROIC.
I think, reading between the lines, this is the logic behind Greg's "discretifying" comments, implying that it's different at different levels, and that there are only a smallish number of different "levels". i.e., so that there's a "gold standard" of having done a given quest at an easily describable level of difficulty, as opposed to "I've done the Sandals of Darkness quest, you know!" "Ah, but have you done it at the 5W2 level, like me, eh?" Instead there'd be a specific game world interpretation on each "degree"

I think there's a middle way to be trod here; I think in practice there is a certain amount of variability, but it isn't necessarily simply at the "discretion of" the quester. But it's getting late, and I've posted more than enough for one day (as several people are likely even as we speak emailing me to say).