Re: Re: HQ questions

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 02:13:18 +0100

A final stab at it...

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 01:58:03 +0100 (BST), Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...> wrote:

>Well, if you mean literally _at the level_ of the gods, as opposed
>to simply, of the same myth as are told involving deities, then I agree
>with you...

And there's my argument. I don't like the dilution of HQs which originated as god vs god. It sounds too much (and indeed IS) just a way to make it easier. It cheapens the myth, I suppose.

>(Returning to the (C)OED, I'm shocked to see it doesn't have "deitific"
>in it -- why the heck not!?)

It wasn't in my spellchecker either, but I left it in...

>OK, maybe I'm not really understanding what it is you're proposing
>(or want) after all... So I'll continue telling you what it is I
>think you're gonna get. ;-)

Yes, that's about it, really. Pointless raging against the dimming of the light any longer, time to slip gently into the dark night. Considering I'm running a LM HQ in about 12 hours, not a bad idea...

>A quick afterthought...
>
>> Yes, it all fits, and it's all playable, which is the real point. And
>> yes, I know by my own arguments that I just couldn't play most of the
>> HQs without 2-3 levels of Mastery, but at least then it would feel
>> HEROIC.
>
>I think, reading between the lines, this is the logic behind Greg's
>"discretifying"

Is that one in the OED?

>comments, implying that it's different at different
>levels, and that there are only a smallish number of different
>"levels". i.e., so that there's a "gold standard" of having done
>a given quest at an easily describable level of difficulty

In other words, they're different myths? There, I agree.

Wulf