Re: HQ questions

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 11:33:19 -0000

> I'm afraid I don't much like Greg's description of how
> low-level HQs run, that you are just part of a faceless crowd
> attending the deity or Hero. What do you DO on such an HQ?
> Mill about? Cheer on the deity/Hero? Or does everyone go
> through the same actions? The latter produces ludicrous
> images in my mind; everyone talking, jumping, boasting at
> once? What do they do, line up neatly or form a mob?

Personally, I prefer the idea that you always act out your chosen role in the myth *1 and your preparations usually *2 determine what the ratings of the obstacles are. And your preparations are based on a combination of your own ratings and the rating of the desired outcome.

If the obstacles are up to (arbitrary choice alert) 10w, then you are mainly in the mundane world. If the obstacles are up to about 1w3, then you are mainly on the hero plane. If the obstacles are 1w3 or above, then you are mainly on one of the true otherworlds. I also agree with the idea that which world you are on is mainly a state of mind or "identity" as Alex put it *3.

*1 The "regular" worship services where initiates and devotees get affinities and feats and where the community (not necessarily in the same service) ensure that the grass continues to grow and the sun continues to shine etc. are heroquests and I agree with Greg's point that the bulk of the community act as the faceless followers/redshirts - there is only room for one person to act as Vinga.

*2 Sometimes the chance factor of Glorantha will put in an outrageously high rating (or conversely outrageously low).

*3 "Identity" leaves out the possibility of experimental heroquesting as yourself!

regards,
Charles