Re: Re: Quest Challenge gains

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:10:12 +0100

Jeff wrote:
> Quest challenges are usually for a different ability, not stacking.
> I was under the impression that most of these challenges are for
> magical ablties you don't have already.

What makes you think that? The example in the NB is of that type, true, but the canonical example much quoted by Greg is pitting your belief in, say, the superiority of Orlanth against someone else's belief in the superiority of Yelm: the symmetry here means it must be for the same ability.

'Stacking' seems a natural way of describing many contests that are also Quest Challenges, simply because it is symmetric (both contestants using the same ability). Many contests in the RW are symmetric.

> Exactly. What I might do in a case like that is to take the Carry
> Over, turn it into Hero Points (capped by, say, the bonus for support)
> and let the Hero spend that on the bidded skill at either the 1/3/6/10
> etc cost or simply let him buy it at 1-to-1.

Considering the rate of HP burning during a HQ, and the risk taken, that would be a pathetic reward.

> Or give him an item that's symbolic of the contest and give THAT the
> bonus to his ability... for as long as he has it.

Which, if it is written on the player's character sheet, means forever. A HW item is not the same as an Obvious Accessible Focus in Champions.

You seem to suggest punishing a player who has played by the rules, risked their best ability and (I assume) spent several HPs.