Re: Quest Challenge gains

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 15:52:48 -0000

Quest challenges are usually for a different ability, not stacking. For example you could challenge for Lightning spear and come out with a 2w2 Lightning Spear ability or some such.

I was under the impression that most of these challenges are for magical ablties you don't have already.

Allowing them to stack is just asking for trouble. I'd personally never allow it. However, we've allowed a character to contest for the Lightning Spear, bidding her Close Combat of 14w2 (somewhat pumped up by her supporters) to gain "Lightning Spear" at 14w2

> Fortunately, all players agreed this was excessive (the 2W2 was
> probably the single highest Ability in our entire campaign as it
> was), and I'm going to change it to a new Ability at 2W2 instead.

This is probably the best course...

> But essentially this seemed quite sensible, fairly fought, lots of
HP
> needed. It's just the excessive result... If he had 4W4, what would
> the rest of the Warband do?

Exactly. What I might do in a case like that is to take the Carry Over, turn it into Hero Points (capped by, say, the bonus for support) and let the Hero spend that on the bidded skill at either the 1/3/6/10 etc cost or simply let him buy it at 1-to-1.

Or give him an item that's symbolic of the contest and give THAT the bonus to his ability... for as long as he has it.

> Or am I just too restrictive in allowing high Abilities?
>
> Wulf

No, doubling a skill is an incredibly dangerous thing for a narrator to do. Personally, I think you made the best choice. And now you've shown me the way to run a 'Monty Haul' HW game.... erk...

Jeff