Re: Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:06:51 +0100 (BST)

jualra_at_...:
> Chainmail for three cows may sound reasonable. But had Rurik got ten
> cows, by these rules he could buy stuff worth of 10 x 15 = 150 = 10w7.
> Say, a small stone castle and a temple for hundred worshippers...

Indeed. Any "linear" system for adding wealth is going to break down like this, sooner or later. There's also the possible problem that the values in the table are "buying resistances", rather than "wealth values". (i.e., getting 1 cow doesn't necessarily mean you have wealth 15, if you started much lower than this.)

> You don't NEED to use thr rules at all but is it so
> unreasonable to ask that the rules in the rulesbook would make sense?

Very reasonable indeed. And not even all that hard, I think. (I just needs a certain amount of game-world detail to make the numbers somewhat consistent -- e.g., what _is_ the actual game world wealth of a "Prosperous" or "Very Rich" person, in so far as it's possible to factor out the "intangibles" and express is as some sort of "effective" net worth.)

> P.S. I wish I DID get my maths correctly, and that I didn't sound too
> arrogant. If so, my English is to blame...

Far from it, a rare note of humility in this thread... (It's something of an Insular Tradition for people who "don't get" maths to be inordinately pleased with themselves for this achievement, which I personally get (possible also inordinately) ticked off at.)