Qualityratings for Wealth and Herowars in general

From: zero-c_at_...
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 23:38:48 -0000

I was really surprised about the comments to my suggestions.If everybody knows the things I said,why do so many questions occur,that deal with this special misunderstanding?And beside,there are some more people in this group,than the two,who made a response to my thoughts....(393 to be precise)
I for myself think,that the wealth rules are good and very elegant- only need a little more guideline,how to generate costratings. So if you have a problem with them,why donīt you just use cash rules,taking the pricelists from Runequest?Thatīs by far the simplest solution,and you can happily add up all of your cows and lunars.Either you understand,that everything is an abstraction and then you do just that or you donīt and then you want mathematics to add wealth,which will not work.
I still believe that you canīt add wealth and that there is no exception to the HW concept.And beside that is not wanted,I would say,forgive me if Iīm egocentric.
Itīs the same with adding skillevels,you are stressing to much the numberside of the game,which is again „leftbrained"and thus not aproppiate.Also it makes gaming a lot less fun.Ihn all of my sessions in the past,all the players hated fighting because it was boring and timeconsuming and a lot of calculating(and also frustrating when you got wounded because you werenīt able anymore to participate in the gameplay)
How can you add up experience in real life?Itīs an absurd question,I would say.You can only describe skill,before and after,so itīs an abstraction again.
What I see,is that this very long discussion brought many flawed tries to generate some kind of mathematics,that do not work and in the end,resulted in something we all already knew:that you have to spend heropoints to cement new gained wealth,thank you.But it brought no inspiration for the existing rules.And this is still the point,Iīm working at.

So again I tried to find patterns and levels in the abstraction of (target)numbers/costratings.So that you can generate a rating for anything with just these little hints (the rules are obviously already there).If you compare the costtable and the mundane resistances with one another,you see that they follow similar rules (okay,I know,you knew that already...)

-Every Mastery is an abstraction for a certain threshold of usefulness or size.or skill needed,that is allready quite good
 explained with the metaphor of journeyman,master,hero and godlike

power.

-Also I see another pattern of concept levels in each increment of 5:

Okay,I admit that this is still a bit vague,and I think that is because the whole rightbrainconcept hasnīt got a broad stand in our culture.The eskimos are said to have about 80 words for snow,we have only a few...So whats a bit missing,is the experience to express different levels of quality,verbally.Still I think you can do it,if you analyze the tables I mentionend,and try to find the levels in them,I found/or see....Maybe itīs just a matter of practice..... In the end,this concept is much more versatile,than having a costtable for every culture.Also,you can better abstract any kind of game value into the whole Herowars ratingsystem,as it is found in size,skill,resistance and powerlevel of characters. peace
Christian