Re: Qualitytable

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:26:56 +0100 (BST)

> I still think that the whole left and rightbrain therory is most
> essential to HW.

If you think you can simply turn your left-brain _off_, while playing a game with so many numbers in it, much less when discussing the _mechanics_ of such a game, I have to (repeat my) disagree(ment).

> Further,analog adding works differently than causal adding.Qualities
> can not be added the way we are used to from numbers.Especially not
> when we have numbers that are symbols for qualities.
> Okay,you might say,that a number is always a symbol and always an
> abstraction,but still itīs different.

No, I'd say "how does adding work given what you're suggesting?". It seems to me you're essentially giving us some reasons not to ever bother trying, which isn't very useful if one persists in wishing to do so, as seems to me completely reasonable.

Let's suppose I owe the game-world equivalent of four cows, and let's suppose this is wealth 20 in HW. Let's suppose someone gives me another 4 cows. All other things being equal, e.g. they don't immediately starve through lack of pasture, etc, nor do they start instantly compounding at an infeasible rate. What we left-brain- crazed people are asking is, what would be a (necessarily inexact, to be taken with a pinch of salt, or fudged around entirely, etc, etc) _rule of thumb_ for what my new Wealth might _plausibly_ be? Some of us are proposing a fairly simple such rule. Some of us are proposing endlessly complex reasons why this couldn't, _nay shouldn't_ be done. Tell me, which is the more useful to the hapless Narrator puzzling over the type of question I've asked?