Qualitytable

From: zero-c_at_...
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:43:18 -0000

Dear Group!
I donīt want to get on everybodies nerves,but I fear I have to repeat some things again....
I still think that the whole left and rightbrain therory is most essential to HW.The left brain is for causal thinking,which is most dominant in our world.We have very few uses for analog thinking. Also I disagree,that HW uses the gamemechanics of „oldfashioned"games. In RQ,for instance,you had Abilities that could only do very defined things and never anything else.,the skillpercantage was more or less,an indicator with what probability you would succeed,nothing more.
In HW an ability is more an associationpool,and the rating,a symbol for the quality of skill and possibility.If we had a more complex language,we could play HW without numbers,just by using descriptive words for skillevels.
So thatīs why Iīm persisting that HW is absolutely different than any former roleplayinggame.In fact I think it is revolutionary. Iīm,as a hobby,interested in philosophy.You have the greek:hermes trimegestos,who kind of „invented"the leftbrained,analog thinking and gave us some laws.
To show you the difference between causal and analog thinking,I can make up chains.So what have a horse,a prosperous,a bull,an ounce of silver and a 2m jump in common?Nothing apparently in the way we are used to think....
But in HW terms(and analog thinking) they all have the same quality,that is 5W!So there is something that connects all these things(and that is information).
Further,analog adding works differently than causal adding.Qualities can not be added the way we are used to from numbers.Especially not when we have numbers that are symbols for qualities. Okay,you might say,that a number is always a symbol and always an abstraction,but still itīs different.
A quality can only be added to another quality,when we assess,what would be the quality of both of them together.Thatīs why we need something that helps us,to better assess qualityratings.Everybody knows,that all the targetnumbers or numbers in general,are staged-the higher the better.But still the rules behind that staging are too vague to use them easily in gameplay.
The rules speak of skills with: normal ability,journeyman-like ability,masterability,heroability and godlikeability(with some more categories like lesser and greater gods).So,to judge abilities and feats(levels of difficulty)is fairly easy,just by asking :"how much training would that feat need,to be accomplished?" When it comes to costratings,you have to go a little bit further,abstracting even more.Building a house is costrating 10W,because it needs the ability of a journeyman(for the masterylevel) and is a basic in itīs category(building)(thatīs why itīs „sub"level 10).
A bit more tricky are animals,they must be judged by usefulness,I think.So a pig is rather simple(5),a cow is more usefull because you have more possibilities of using it (meat,fat,skin,milk,also:bigger than a pig),the horse gets into the next category of one mastery,because it is of a significant,longterm use(you can travel far and quick with it),sill itīs simple in itīs category. Next comes adding.If you have one pig,it is worth:5.If you have some more pigs,I think your wealth will not necessarily increase very much,but if you have male and female pigs,you will be able to increase your wealth alot more,because it is much more worth. Still this is a bit sketchy,but this is the reason why Iīm comitting,because I hope the other groupmembers could help,to better define the „exact"meaning of numbers and qualityratings and levels! We should really forget a bit about the numbers as statistics,everything in HW is a matter of a quality.You have different degrees in skilltests,like marginal successes or total failures-this is quality,not a number.You have no wounds,you have adescription of woundings in abstract terms.(also there is no rule for adding up wounds,because there is no need for it). The only role that numbers play on HW is,when it comes to a description of quality.We could use words instead,but itīs easier with numbers,because we live in a causal world,where we like precise definitions.A description with words would confuse a lot of people,because they wouldnīt be able to distinguish as good as they can disstinguish numbers.
These are my thoughts so far.I would really apreciate to see somebody,commiting his or hers personal description of qualityratings.I donīt care how precise these suggestions will bemaybe  just brainstorming so that we,alltogether can try to make up a universal table.

Later...
Just to make a start,I made a table with some of the existing values from the rulesbook.So you have different categories with one glance next to one another,which suits my purposes for comparing and assessing better.I translated all the words from the german rulesversion,because I donīt own the english original-hope I made no big mistakes.

Much more later...:-)
Hmm,the table didnīt appear like I made it,in the e-mail,I donīt know why.I will try to post it under files.
I hope somebody has a use for my table and wants to add one or another category.
peace
Christian