Re: HW as a concept, and _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:14:29 +0200

Garreth (?) :

> Question: Does Moonson, whose wealth is probably about 20W3, really
> own no more than 82,000 lunars? With that huge, sprawling empire?
> Surely he must have trouble equipping his cavalry with only 1024
> horses...

Emperors do not personally own all that they survey ...

Anyway, my re-write deals with this.

Tim :

> To me, this whole debate is just another iteration of the Mike Cule
> (and many others I'm sure) question "If I start off a combat with 24
> AP and loose 8, how wounded am I?" - It's not something that HW
> models, and any attempts to add rules to do so will "break" the
> system with exceptions and special cases.

Disagree. There's a big difference.

The Wealth ability is static during a session.

More importantly, the proposed changes make no attempt to "freeze" the essentially fluid nature of the HW ability involved. Simply, to propose a method of dealing with its most boring aspects in the swiftest way possible.

> This is not to say that there isn't a benefit in being able to say
> that a Heortling Carl with a wealth of 15 has on average x head of
> cattle, providing you don't make a leap of logic from their and
> assume that ammassing x head of cattle automatically gives you a
> wealth of 15.

This is a very important point, and one that I agree with completely.

Julian Lord