Statistics

From: zero-c_at_...
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:10:06 -0000

Dear group!
Another problem I have is how to resolve certain situations without statistics in HW.I donīt ask for changes in the rules,because I like the free form style that is imminent to HW,but sometimes Iīm not sure,how specific situations can be handled without statistics,that every old fashioned roleplayer is used to,like „Constitution" or „Strength".The default resistance seems very unappropiate to me,in many cases.
As an example:
The poison rules state,you resist with an ability like"Tough"or"Resist Poison".If you donīt have any of these,you get the universal resistance of 6(for everybody who hasnīt got anything else),maybe you could augment with characteristics like „Strong"or „Large",but still it seems not very"realistic"or even fair.
The same with strength related tasks,like opening huge doors.If you havenīt got a characteristic that says you are either"Strong"or „Weak",you will have an improvised value of 6...wether you are a human or a god.
So wouldnīt it be a better idea to give every character a statistic for things you canīt really
roleplay,like"Strength"and „Constitution"(as in good old RQ)???Most things seem to be covered by abilities,as they are in HW,but some not. peace
Christian