RE: Re: Wergilds

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:33:26 +0100

Gareth writes:

> ... your basic proportions are observable by comparison to the
> weregilds of socially significant ranks.

Are you assuming that wergild is always set so as to be equal to property (i.e. that a cottar with a 10-cow wergild owns 10 cows?). Is this perhaps stated somewhere in Thunder Rebels where I can't find it for the moment?

My academic background in studying barbarian lawcodes leads me to believe that this isn't how they usually worked in the RW. A king's ransom =/= a king's chattel property. They are intended to have a significant deterrent effect, not just to accurately compensate for loss of life and limb in an economically efficient manner.

Cheers, Nick