Hero Quest Challenge rules variants

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:33:21 +0100

Alex suggests :
>How do people feel about my suggested rule of thumb, that if your
>old ability is [X], and your newly-gained ability just happens _also_
>to be exactly [X] (i.e. in some sense you really are "doubling" how
>good you are, in some at least hand-wavy game-world sense), your
>new ability should be [X+10]?

I agree in general that 'doubling' is in some sense about X+10, but I suspect this seems mean for quest challenges. After all, if you've just risked a W3 ability, and have the choice of a new W3 ability or a +10, which seems the better investment?

My own, off the cuff, solution is to allow doubling, but to cap the increase somewhere around the mastery level (ie. X+20). This seems to me to be better worth the risk, while still stopping the 'three heroquests, then beat up Orlanth' problem.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson