Re: Re: Hero Quest Challenge rules variants

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:40:33 +0100

>Usually, a quest challenge isn't for something as mundane as a close
>combat and while you may be betting your close combat or some
>relevant skill, the trade gives you a resultant feat or the like -
>something more specific and magical. Thus, I'd be betting my Close
>Combat but gaining the 'Lightning Spear' feat for example at the
>rating I wagered. (if I lost, I'd lose close combat and the Fire Tribe
>guy who I was against would gain the "Lightning Sword" or whatever it
>is they get at his close combat (or whatever HE wagered)
>
>I don't think you can repeat a quest if you succeed - certainly not to
>the point of doubling.

I agree - indeed I would be quite happy to have a rule that outright banned questing to improve skills you already have (or at least, which limited the increase to the amount it would be rated if it were new). Certainly in the heroquests I've been working on this is implicit.

Repeating a quest is explicitly banned (at least by Greg - don't think its made it into print yet), but that doesn't stop you doing another quest with similar enough effect to count as doubling, especially with the annoying meta-skills like close combat. How else would you deal with gaining spear skills on a quest? After all, just adding another style to your list doesn't really seem worth it.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson