Re: Fetishes for theists

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:46:40 +0000

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:02:37 +0100, Alexandre Lanciani <takenegi_at_...> wrote:

>The Newtlings of the Rainbow Mounds are going to give the characters some
>fetishes to help them recover the statue's parts. IIRC it has been hinted on
>this list (or the other) that theists using spirit magic would incur in a
>penalty to their magical abilities.

One of the Lhankor Mhy subcults involves learning Sorcery. Initiates & Devotees incurs a -10 and -20 modifier, respectively, to their theistic magic (but seemingly none to their sorcery) for this. These would seem to be the Dangerous and Alien World modifiers, so I guess (and that's all the info I have) the same would apply to theists using fetishes. It might be better if they were at least using Kolat or Earth Witch fetishes, but Odayla has a specific method of using Kolat 'charms', and the description makes it pretty clear they cannot use spirits with no penalty at all.

>Should I allow the players to cement it, even if they don't belong to the
>Newtling tradition?

'Should' you, is up to you...

>After all they befriended them and could always go there
>to have it refilled.

True in both cases (even befriending them should bring about considerable unease among more orthodox Orlanthi...).

>How would you handle a theist that joins an animist tradition? "Forget it!",
>misapplied worship, in a smarter way...

Currently, if they want to gain spirits and teaching from an animist tradition, Misapplied Worship is the way the rules mandate. However, it's a pretty crappy way. There may, and should, be a better way in HW2, but that's not due for months even at the current schedule.

>Is a fetish an object that can be picked up by anyone and used or must it be
>dedicated/attuned/whatever?

I have seen no detail on this, but from what we do know about animism, it's likely that anyone can release (use) a spirit once they know what it is and what it does. Getting that information is another matter. It may be necessary to learn a Tradition that includes the spirit, or maybe you just have to yell "Work!". Nothing much has been written on the subject, as far as I have seen. However, I WOULD imagine that you have to know, in general terms, how to use fetishes at all. A handgun isn't much threat (well... not intentionally) until you know which bit is the trigger. Your friends the Newtlings should be able to show them, unless you decide that itself requires training in an animist Tradition, to attune the mind.

But the real problem here shouldn't be "How can I join the Newtling animist Tradition?", it should be "What will people think - or even DO - if I try?" After all, if you WANT them to use Newtling spirits, they can. But they'd be pretty damn weird Orlanthi.

Wulf