Re: Truestone

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 22:31:18 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, wulfcorbett wrote:

> Has anyone given much thought as to the use and powers of Truestone
> in HW? I'm converting some old RQ material, and want to get some
> ideas.
>
> In RQ, some sources said you could pump as much magic, Rune, Spirit
> and POW, into a piece as you had available at one session (but after
> that it was locked to 'Read Only' mode), others talked about '2-
> point' blank pieces and the like.

I like the earlier descriptions where the stone doesn't get set. You can store magic points (uh, AP) and divine spells (feats). The stone empties when use use them, and you can load more stuff into it. The set stone version never appealed to me as much.

I've run it so that the stones can have "flavors" or something such. So that a given stone may only hold death-rune magic, and so on. I also set them a limit of how much magic they can hold at one time.

> Problems I've thought of for HW.
> 1- How much/how many magical 'abilities' can be put into one piece?
> Can you add more later?

I like it so that it has a limit. Sort of like a MP crystal, but in larger scale.

> 2- What happens to the abilities of the one who puts them in?

In the biturian Varosh story the magic came back in a week, I think.

>"What price can I pay," I asked, "to fill my spot with something
>greater?"
>
>"Only god-things are better than a Lightbringer with a brave heart,"
>she said. "How could anyone replace your skills?"
>
>"What about a Truestone?" I asked.
>
>"An excellent vessel, Goldentongue, but who will fill it?" The question
>was rhetorical, of course.
>
>Thus I bought my way out of a Heroquest, sending instead a spell-laden
>stone with all my rune spells for a week and all of my personal power
>for a day.

> 3- Can you raise the Rating of an ability in a piece of Truestone?

I'd say the stones abilities are set (in stone, as it were, ah-ah). But those more into the HW paradigm will propably disagree. I'd say it needs pretty exotic magic to alter a truestone, propably from a true Mostali.

> 4- Can Truestone hold any form of magic, Spirit, Feat/Affinity or
> Spell, maybe also AP? Can they be mixed? Can a Theist use a Spirit in
> a piece of Truestone (or any other combination) without penalising
> his Theistic magic?

That's a very good question. I've had a Storm Bull Pol Joni (minor hero) in my game, who had two praxian Spirits of Law bound into a truestone. It seems right to me.

I don't know how truestone is supposed to relate to spirits and the powers of sorcery. It seems very theistic, but parhaps not all of it is such.

> 5- Any other magical effects of Truestone in HW?
>
> Wulf

It's supposed to burn creatures of Chaos something fierce. It's also supposed to be almost indestructible (w4 at least), and very, very difficult to shape or refine.

        -Adept