Re: Truestone

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:52:28 -0000

> >I agree with that part of it, sure, but the bit about the Rune
Magic
> >coming back to him once the CA had used it sounds more like
Issaries
> >Spell Trading.
>
> But it's not:

> Cults of Prax, p107

Ah, now that's a more relevant jog to the memory. The same game mechanic works in HW then, a Feat placed in the stone will be forgotten until used from the stone (or relearned with a HP or two). Presumably it could still be Improvised.

As HW redefines 'Rune Magic' as being the re-enactment of actions taken by the gods (linked to their powers by a HQ on the part of the Feat-user), this means that the Truestone actually stores memory and/or knowledge, which widens it's use. If a member of another cult took a 'loaded' Truestone, he'd be re-enacting another God's Feat... Well, the stone would. Interesting potential there.

The storage of Sorcerous spells is also a matter of memory (the stone would act as a talisman (amulet? whatever those soulless swine call it)). Spirits would be different, in that the one who put a spirit into the stone wouldn't seem to get it back after it's used. A Truestone would act like a normal one-use fetish for a spirit, which seems a waste.

The problem is, with the 1st edition magical manipulation rules, to extend and trigger magic, you can emulate all these results without Truestone, which devalues it considerably.

Wulf