Re: Re: Sudden Death extended contests

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 01:53:47 +0000

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:36:41 -0500, Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

>It is mainly a matter of arithmetic, true, but it falls on the Narrator
>to describe the loss just as he or she would describe AP loss. Alas,
>"Wound" is an unfortunate choice of words in HERO WARS

The 7AP tradein is called a Penalty, officially, only the 'Grievous' version is called a Wound. So your idea follows more from the 7AP style.

>You must recover from the impairment after the battle, as you normally
>would, or others may reduce the impairment during the battle by lending
>you 10 AP at least using an appropriate ability. If the Narrator
>describes the penalty in the former way, someone with Healing magic or
>First Aid could lend AP to eliminate it. If the latter, someone with
>Relationship (same God) or Encourage Others could lend AP to eliminate
>it.

So not only do you want to introduce a new mechanic to CAUSE wounds/penalties/whatever, you want to have a 10 AP loan able to CURE them? Is that ANY wound/penalty/whatever, or just these ones? Would you, indeed, allow the standard 7AP tradein and Grievous Wounds? Would gaining 10 AP from a Critical Contest result cure you? Since these penalties are caused by specific events ( not just physical wounds), do you have to track every one individually to find a AP loaning Ability that will 'cure' them? Can you 'heal' a loss of resolve with a Healing Spirit's AP?

>Any clearer now? The idea is to enhance dramatic tension in the
>resolution mechanics, as per Simon's original post. It works extremely
>well, in my experience, and encourages roleplaying and creativity to
>resolve mechanics-related problems faced by the heroes.

Sound to me like you're just introducing a new mechanic that does just what the old one always did, but with different numbers and more work to apply it.

Wulf