Re: Re: Sudden Death extended contests

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:16:01 +0000

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:57:39 -0500, Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

>>Your idea follows more from the 7AP style.
>
>The mechanic I proposed would merge the existing "optional penalty at 7
>AP loss" and "wound at 15 AP loss", make the penalty automatic like the
>Grevious Wound and tweak the numbers so they are more intuitive for those
>not as math-inclined.

Can't argue with that, 7 & 15 always seemed odd choices of breakpoints to me.

> Instead of an optional penalty at 7 AP loss and an
>automatic one at 15 AP loss, I propose an automatic penalty at 10 AP loss
>and no optional one (no one uses it).

No one IN YOUR GROUP I assume you mean, since I for one certainly DO use it.

>>You want to introduce a new mechanic to CAUSE
>>wounds/penalties/whatever, you want to have a
>>10 AP loan able to CURE them?
>
>Actually, it would act more like an Augment, but using the lender's
>Healing affinity or such to "correct" the penalty. If heroes can lend AP
>using their abilities, why prevent them from erasing a penalty with them
>as well?

If it's an Augment, why not use the Augmentation mechanic? Why prevent them? Because you're mixing up game mechanics, and adding complexities to the existing simple Penalty/Wound mechanics.

>>Would gaining 10 AP from a Critical Contest
>>result cure you?
>
>No. A penalty can only be removed by the conscious action of someone. You
>can take unrelated actions in order to use an appropriate ability to
>remove penalties from yourself, or someone else can support you with an
>appropriate ability of their own.

So... a penalty caused by fear, loss of confidence, etc. can be cured by the AP loan from a suitable ability, but NOT from the gain in confidence, achievement and feeling of well-being engendered by achieving a distinct advantage over your opponent?

>>Since these penalties are caused by specific
>>events, do you have to track every one indiv-
>>idually to find a AP loaning Ability that will
>>'cure' them?

>It can be useful to note on
>your tally sheet "Turn 2: -10 AP/-1 loss of faith", but it is not
>completely necessary.

...and is a bloody huge task with large combats, adding a mass of notes to an otherwise simple game record. But if you DON'T take these notes, the whole idea of using specific abilities to restore points is lost.

>Incorrect. I am streamlining an existing mechanic (penalties at various
>levels of AP loss)

That bit I see the sense of, 10 AP is easier to remember.

>and extrapolating a new aspect to a second existing
>one (using abilities to support a hero other than one's own).

But I can't see the point in this part of it. AP loan adds AP, Augments add to the Rating. Mixing the two just isn't necessary.

>Is *that*
>any clearer? :)

It's perfectly clear, but that doesn't make it sound any more sensible to me :-)

Wulf