Re: Re: Initiates & Devotees

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:05:34 +0000

> > Presumably this means that initiates are always at a penalty
> > when attempting any feat, but I can't find any reference as to
> > what this penalty should be. -2? -5? -10? And that feats not in
> > the description of the cult are even harder?
>
>The way I read this, yes the initiate is ALWAYS at a penalty, but the
>size of the penalty is based on the GM's judgement of how far removed
>the proposal is from the affinity itself.

The clarification that I saw (somewhere around the time Thunder Rebels came out?) was that MECHANICALLY initiates usually used just the affinity - "I use my Death magic to..." - but devotees usually used more specific feats. Initiates could use feats, but at the normal improv margin (-3 in the rules, I use -5 personally...) This could be larger if the feat is not obviously related to the god - as in the Vinga and arrows discussed already. As a rule of thumb I reckon Initiates improving feats do so at a penalty 5 greater than a devotee doing the same.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Graham

--