Re: Initiates & Devotees

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:06:01 -0000

A number of very good, workable ways this could be run have been proposed. I suppose which is best for a particular group may well vary depending on the kind of game and the kind of atmosphere you're trying to create.

The way I'm doing it in my game is to let Initiates only use listed feats at their full Affinity rating. Their limited understanding of the cult mysteries means they can only call on the best-known myths and magic. Devotees can improvise other feats (including augments) at -5. This means that initiates can only use obviously augmenting feats to get augments, they can't make up (improvise?) augments on an ad-hoc basis.

For me, this solves several problems :

  1. Most of the time people will be rolling against their full Affinity rating.
  2. Obviously augmenting feats aren't a useless embarrasment.
  3. Devotees get more flexible use of their magic than initiates, who can only use rote feats. This seems more sensible than letting initiates be flexible and only giving devotees the rote abilities.

Simon Hibbs