Re: Re: Run, alynx, run!

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:04:23 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, ian_hammond_cooper wrote:

> > Come to think of it. Try sprinting after a startled housecat. I bet
> it will leave you standing.
>
> Probably not in a straight race over flat ground. A human's stride is
> so much longer thah a housecat's they have to exert far less effort
> to move with the same speed. However cats rarely enter the 100m
> sprint against humans. The perception that the cat is faster comes
> from its agility, ability to accelerate from a standing start etc.

That's what I meant by a sprinting contest. A human athlete may have a higher topspeed than a housecat, but not by much (and I'm not sure he would).

> If
> you are tying to grab it in HW terms the contest is far less run vs
> sprint, but Tackle vs Dodge Attack (augmented by its small). Because
> you are likely to end up flat on your arse on a failed attack,
> allowing the cat to get away, I'd rule this was a simple contest or
> all of your positive AP bid.

I agree. Actually catching a fleeing housecat (that isn't exhausted) is a rather remarkable feat.

> But, yes some AR numbers may be off and need adjusting in your
> episode.
>
> Ian Cooper

Luckily it isn't too hard for those that already have a well formed vision of Glorantha. Not so easy on those new to the world, though.

        -Adept