Re: Cultural Keyword (Was: Run, alynx, run!)

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:51:52 -0800

Alex wrote

> This is sort of the nub of it actually; say you were in "quick start" mode
> and one player simply wrote down "Heortling weaponthane", and the other
> wrote down "Heortling craftsman" -- or indeed a third wrote down "Heortling
> craftsman, skilled in sword-play". Seems to me the first (or the third)
> should be the better CCer, all other things being equal. (Rather than
> the first two being equivalent, and the third being _worse_.)

I suppose one possibility is that the third gives you +7 to Close Combat (Sword) -- if the keyword didn't already give it, this would raise the default skill from 6 to 13.

In my conservative fashion, I think part of the problem is that everything's been inflated -- IMO there's no need for keyword skills to start so much higher than the personal ones (other than of course the fact that sample resistances have been set even higher).

I do think it's a bit boring that so many skills are listed at the same value on the sheet. It might be nice to have a range from

New ability (12)
Cultural ability (13)
Keyword ability (15)
Personal ability (17)