Re: clan myths

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:04:49 EST

In a message dated 28/01/02 14:09:26, you write:

<< My family has no legends going farther back than  about 200 years, and much of that information is suspect. >>

I would guess though that you have an opinion about where your ancestors were during the norman conquest, during the danelaw, how about in Roman Britain? These are, in effect, your 'clan' myths. (personally speaking, I *think* I am a descendant of Danes who settled in yorkshire, but I logically know that I have ancestors from all parts of England (even Scotland!). The Heortling difference is that you are not a descendant of two clans, but always a member of one clan. There is no "half Lismelder, half Torkani" in the minds of a clan member (IMO) and no question of who you're real ancestors are (IIRC even uncles count as ancestors). The clan history is the same for everyone, you can discuss it with your clan mates. Modern families are relatively small in comparison, and each person has their own different version (OK, siblings can have identical families for a bit, but if they get married it soon changes)

There is a statistic about how many of your ancestors modern people know the name of, and it is pretty low (excepting the Queen and a few other of course).

Keith Nellist