Re: "scripting" contests

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:08:48 -0000

> I suggets that a part of Being Entertaining is proper preparation
and
> construction os scenes etc.

Preparation, yes, definately. But I was replying to the statement that the narrator's responsibility was to tell a story. It is not simply this, it is to INVOLVE the players in telling that story. The players should have their input too.

> > listening, that's fine. But if they actually want to play, what's
> > the point of them turning up?
>
> Umm, to play?

Again, same point. I was pointing out that, if they will simply be listening to the narrator telling a story, and if the "dramatic needs may overshadow other concerns when interpreting the results of an exchange or contest" (quoting the original post), then they may as well not be playing. I do not say "let the dice fall where they may", but I do say "don't count your chickens before they hatch" - roll the dice, THEN interpret, as creatively as you like, but without changing the basic outcome.

> > And where is this sense of victory knowing that your actions have
> > been secondary, or even inconsequential, to the narrator's
script?

> All that suggests is that it should not be done in a manenr that
does not (ammended text)
> challenge suspension of disbelief.

A clever trick if you pull it off, and potentially a good result, but as likely to wind up as obvious railroading.

> > That's my whole objection right there. This idea completely
removes
> > any and all sense of achievement. If the PCs win, by their own
> > actions, fine. If they don't, tough. All the narrator should be
>
> But, if I allowed PC death to happen as often as it should by RW
> experience, the players would keep getting negatively reinforced; I
> already manipulate the outcomes because in fact I do ont conspire
> kill the characters.

But it isn't reality, and, unless you massively overbalance the opposition, it's damned difficult to get killed in HW. Like I said, interpret the result whatever way you want, but wait until it has been determined by the action of the players, and the dice. Do not just decide beforehand what's necessary to the plot, then carry out the plan regardless.

Wulf