RE: Re: Augmentation again

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 10:22:11 -0000

Graham wrote:

> Mark's argument that people get used to it after a couple of sessions
> isn't much help when they never play again after the demo that convinces
> them that there's too much maths. Anyway I don't believe it.

Hear, hear! Speaking for myself, I *hate* the Hero Wars "wibble" notation ("My skill is seventeen-wibble-one -- is that higher than three-wibble-two?) and am toying with the idea of rolling 2D10 rather than 2D20 for contest resolution, skill notation, etc. So a skill of 11 is higher than 9, and 21 is higher than 19, and you don't write them backwards and make people worry whether 9w1 is higher than 1w2, etc.

First impressions count. First impressions of HW's geek notation are highly offputting. Just my $0.02.

Cheers, Nick