Re: worth of ranks; masteries

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:12:27 -0800

Christian

> I agree,that edges and ranks are more or less worthless and
> underrated,maybe a doubling,like Wulf suggests,is a good
> idea-also,it would relate to the average RQ-weapon-damage.

They'd still frequently cancel out, but that's not the only problem...

In my experience, they slow down the game if used frequently.

Also, it's seldom the case in heroic fiction that equipment makes a big difference. Sure, Our Hero may gaze lovingly at the shiny new sword The Mysterious Lady gives him, but it seldom makes any real difference in a fight*.

If Our Hero is fighting a bunch of stone men he can't damage, then sure, give them an armor rank. This can be dramatic. The difference between a guy wearing leather armor and a guy wearing ringmail isn't dramatic.

Petteri

> I just love the mastery system and bumps. The game is really easy and
> we do not have any problems whit the rules. I just have to say this
> because it seems that every one here is just complaining how hard and
> difficult it is to play Hero Wars.

I love mastery and bumps too, I'd just prefer that mastery be something rare and impressive. And I didn't say it was hard, only that too many masteries floating around slows down play a bit.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>