Re: Re: Ability advancement rate

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:48:50 +0000

>I don't understand. The difference between 17 and 17W *is* the same
>as the difference between 17W2 and 17W3. In the contest rules, the
>masteries cancel out.

Only mechanically. In terms of your place in the world the differences are vast. 17 to 17W means you have improved from un-notable, to notably good. Going from 17W2 to 17W3 is more best in clan to best in kingdom stuff. 17W4 is amongst best in world. 17W5 is better than some gods...

All the established characters in Glorantha of W3+ level get there by heroquesting, yet the rules allow players to get there by an easier route. It feels wrong. I want to slow character improvement, not stop it. But I want heroquesting for improvement to be an increasingly attractive option. I want players to go on quests to perfect their skills, not spend a hero point every week.

I've reached the point where my characters are reaching heroic levels, but their advancement has not changed. Their skills can become god-like, but they need never do more than spend hero point after hero point. Play for ten years, you can match Orlanth, but never have been on a hero quest.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson