meaning of masteries

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:56:17 EST

><>Graham said:
><>"17 to 17W means you have improved from un-notable, to notably good. "
><>

<>Thats not true.
<>Remember 1-20 means ordinary skill-ability,what you learn without having a
<>"formal" education.
<>W-means skill of a journeyman.When you finish an apprenticeship,you are not
<>notable,you just have very sound knowledge and some practice,but very little
<>experience.
<
<But by your own statement, this applies to 1W, not 17W. The number I chose,
<and the description was careful. By 17W you have very nearly mastered your
<skill, in the sense that no ordinary person stands much chance of competing
<with you.
<

When i said W,i was referring to the threshold,that every mastery stands for.So W was meant to be:1W-20W.

<>True knowledge starts with being a master,which is W2(trained and
<>experienced) to W3(has years of experience,thus very deep knowledge).
<
<Not according to ANYTHING we have in Hero Wats. W3 is a very special,
<heroic person. Not just an experienced master - W2 does fine for that.
<

All i said,came from my own experiences or real life.I did an apprenticeship,when i was younger(tailor). When your apprenticeship ends,you know how to do certain things of your craft but you can not really do things on your own,without being directed by a master.Your knowledge is very incomplete(and that is intended-as a part of the system!).
When you progress to become a master,you have done a lot of things(experience)and know how the finer details and techniques of you craft work.When you get your final teachings to become a master you also learn the deeper"secrets"of your craft.
After years of being a master your skills and knowledge broadens,that is when you are an experienced master.
As i see it,this refers to the mastery threshold in general.Like with,lets say,swordfighting:
1-20 means something like basic parrying and attacking 1W-20W means maybe some advanced fighting technique and a knowledge of where to strike for vulnerable bodyparts
1W2-20W2 means a professional killer,with tactics and tricks and deeper knowledge how to defeat mighty foes.
1W3-20W3 means an old veteran,a killing machine.Can kill with one aimed strike.A ninja like person,whatever...
The whole AP system only makes sense with this threshold/mastery thing-how else can you your attacks be that deadly,even against fully armoured foes?! Christian